February 27, 2012

Late Winter Farm News


Peg's Farm Journal
Friday, 5 a.m.

The alarm clock shrieks and I swat it with my open palm, hitting the snooze button harder than is really necessary. I roll over and settle deeper under the down comforter. Just then I hear soft crying coming from downstairs. I pull back the covers reluctantly. "I'll go down and make a bottle," I whisper to my still-sleeping spouse. Bleary-eyed, I stumble into the kitchen and pull the powdered formula from the shelf. The crying coming from behind the office door grows louder and more insistent. "I'm coming, I'm coming," I call as I wait for the tap water to grow warm. Finally, full bottle in hand, I open the door to the office. He sees me, and his cry takes on a frantic tone. His little wooly tail waggles furiously as he bounces around in the playpen on his invisible pogo stick.

This is Hobbes, our 10-day old bottle lamb. He was born to a ewe who wasn't up to the challenge of nursing triplets. Our friends, John and Jackie, owners of Hobbes' mama, are deep in the midst of lambing season on their farm. Hobbes is just one of fifty lambs born on their farm this month, so it's easy to imagine why John and Jackie didn't have the energy to take care of this little guy. When John called last week, he really didn't have to work all that hard to convince me to give Hobbes a home. Matt, on the other hand, appeared less than enthusiastic when I first told him the news about our growing family, but I convinced him that Hobbes would make a great pet for the kids. Truth be told, I'm having just as much fun as the kids. Maybe more.

I scoop Hobbes up and settle him on my lap, where he polishes off the milk in a couple of minutes. I lean back into the couch cushions and close my eyes. Hobbes pushes his warm pink nose into the crook of my arm and promptly falls asleep. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to catch another hour of sleep before my other babies, the human ones, wake up hungry for their breakfast.

It's been a good winter at the farm. I'm looking forward to sharing the coming season with all of you!  -Peg


Yes, that is a diaper he's wearing.


Avery takes care of the afternoon feeding.


Date Corrections--Please Mark your Calendars!
The start of our spring delivery season is right around the corner. Unfortunately, one batch of registration forms contained some inaccurate dates.  Here is the correct delivery schedule. Please mark your calendars accordingly.

First Spring Vegetable Delivery:    May 2nd/3rd
Last Spring Vegetable Delivery:    June 6th/7th

First Summer Vegetable Delivery: June 13th/14th
Last Summer Vegetable Delivery: October 3rd/4th

First Fall Vegetable Delivery:        October 10th/11th
Last Fall Vegetable Delivery:        November 14th/15th

First Fruit Delivery:      June 27th/28th
Last Fruit Delivery :     October 3rd/4th




Egg Shares Now Available

Each egg share consists of 1 dozen eggs per week.

We are currently selling egg shares. The dates of the egg shares coincide with the dates of the vegetable shares. Each share consists of one dozen pasture-raised brown eggs per week. Our hens move around freely on pasture, with plenty of access to clean water, fresh air and sunlight. We encourage them to graze on grasses, green plants and bugs. Besides being outside, the chickens are raised without any added hormones, chemicals or anti-biotics in their diet. Our chickens are fed a wholesome, diverse diet of grains, vegetables and fruits, but since part of their diet consists of non-organic grain, the eggs are not labeled organic. For more information, including dates and prices, please visit our website and download the registration form.



Limited Availability for Summer and Fall Vegetable Shares




We are sold out of spring shares, but we still have a small number of shares for the summer vegetable season and the fall vegetable season. If you have friends or neighbors who might be interested, please consider mentioning our farm to them. Registration forms can be found at http://www.sandhillorganics.com/.